Step 1 – Application form
Once you have chosen your new family member, please get in touch and we’ll send you an Adoption Application form.
Step 2 – Home check
Contact will be made to arrange a home check at the earliest convenient date and time. This check will take about an hour. We will consider the suitability of the adopter, family, the property (including garden and security) and any other pets and animals. You will also be asked for information on previous dogs and other pets in the family. We do prefer the whole family to be present when we visit, so we can talk through the process with everyone and make sure you all feel comfortable and prepared.
Step 3 – Preparation for travel
- If your dog is older than 6 months blood tests will be carried out and any necessary inoculations given. Your dog will be examined by a veterinarian to ensure it is fit to travel.
- A Pet Passport will be prepared and paperwork organised to enable your dog to travel.
- A travel date is booked and we’ll arrange a suitable location near your home for you to pick up your dog.
- It costs £360 to transport a dog from Greece to UK and this is paid directly to the pet transporters rather than to the shelter.
- While there is no set adoption fee, a donation to the shelter would be much appreciated to help with expenses incurred whilst caring for your dog.
Step 4 – Your dog’s journey
Your dog will travel by land from Greece to the UK and the dogs are fed, watered and walked during the trip, which is approximately 48 – 72 hrs. Professional dog handlers accompany the dogs at all times and the transportation company is registered with DEFRA.